The world is witnessing a lot of space missions through which nations compete, but some of the great missions have been engraved in history, having shown how far humans can go to discover the universe.
The Poplar Mechanics site has presented the top 10 space missions in human history:
1. Mission “Sputnik 1”:the first artificial space satellite launched by the Soviet Union on October 4, 1957. The launching of the satellite was the beginning of the space race between the two powers (the Soviet Union and the United States of America).
2. Mission “Vostok 1”: the first spacecraft out of the Earth’s atmosphere, carrying astronauts aboard, led by Major Yuri Gagarin. This was on April 12, 1961.
3. Mission “Apollo 11” : is the first of its kind to lead man to descend on the moon. It was held on July 20, 1969.
4. Mission “Apollo 13”:Us American spacecraft, sent on April 11, 1970 for reconnaissance and landing on the moon.
5. Mission “STS-51-L” : Flight 25 of the US space program took place on January 28, 1986, and ended in less than 73 seconds, following the explosion of the shuttle and the death of all crew members.
6. Mission “Voyager 1”: First Space probe It was launched on September 5, 1977 to give a detailed view of the planets Jupiter and Saturn.
7. Mission “March Pathfinder”: an exploration mission to the surface of Mars, launched on 4 December 1996 by the agency “NASA”. The aim was to study and analyze the Martian atmosphere, climate and composition of rocks.
8. International Space Station: Built under international cooperation led by America and Russia in 1998. On November 2, 2000, the first space crew arrived aboard the International Space Station.
9. Mission “Kepler’s”: a space observatory launched in March 2009 by NASA into space to discover if there was life in the Milky Way galaxy.
10. Mission “Cassini-Huygens”: joint project between NASA, the European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency to send two probes to study the planet Saturn and its system. The mission lasted 20 years (from 1997 to 2017).